How to Light up Your Social Media During the Nights of Lights
Snap an Instagram-worthy photo during Nights of Lights in St. Augustine.
St. Augustine’s annual Nights of Lights event begins November 19, 2022 and runs through January 31, 2023. With the whole city covered in millions of lights, visitors will have countless spots to choose from when looking to catch the best views. Here are a few places around town to consider for creating the perfect social media moment:
Classic Plaza de la Constitución
The plaza is a must-see location for the Nights of Lights. At the heart of St. Augustine’s historic district, the Plaza de la Constitución features a multitude of lights in the boughs of trees and adorning the magnificent Christmas tree and gazebo at its center. Whether you visit the plaza for a casual evening visit, you’re sure to find a glowing winter wonderland with all the right lighting for pictures.
Lion’s Eye View
Streams of light stretch for over 1,500 feet along St. Augustine’s famous Bridge of Lions. Drive through the glow on your way to and from Anastasia Island or enjoy it from a distance. Either way, there’s always a beautiful angle no matter which way you look.
Photos on the Move
St. Augustine offers several tour options to ensure you see the Nights of Lights from every direction:
- Roll through the city on one of the Tasting Tours Lights, Carriage and Cheer Tours.
- You can board the Old Town Trolley or Santa's Red Express Nights of Lights Tour for special Nights of Lights tours around the city
- A luxury golf cart tour through St. Augustine Land & Sea Tours will take your small group through the brilliant streets.
- Tour guides with Ancient City Tours can also lead you through the city’s illuminated history on foot.
- Learn how to take a great holiday photo with a professional photographer as your tour guide. The Downtown Saint Augustine Nights of Lights Photography Tour visits prime locations that allows you to come away with brilliant, sharp photos of some architectural gems including the Lightner Museum, Flagler College and the Cathedral Basilica.
Each tour offers a unique view of the city, complete with suggestions of where to point your camera for the best memories.
In a city renowned for the beautiful buildings of past eras, Nights of Lights brings history to light.
- The Lightner Museum shines with each glowing window and sparkling bush of its sprawling courtyard.
- Next door, the Villa Zorayda Museum offers a Christmas Experience with a special Christmas Tree Lighting ceremony all season.
- Across the street, Flagler College boasts bright towers and glittering arches.
All locations offer plenty of photo ops to bring a little history to your social media feed.
During Nights of Lights, parades come in all forms. On December 3, the Palm Valley Boat Parade in Ponte Vedra Beach will feature a display of lighted boats along the water. The annual Regatta of Lights will showcase decorated sailboats, trawlers, shrimp boats, and more on December 10. Each event is sure to present countless sparkling spectacles you won’t want to miss.
Along the Water
If you want to double the amount of lights you see around the city, consider venturing out on the water with:
- St. Augustine Eco Tours
- Scenic Cruise’s Victory III
- St. Augustine Boat Tours
- Black Raven
- Schooner Freedom
- Red Boat Tours
- Florida Water Tours
- A private Nights of Lights boat tour with Pia & Me Scenic Charters or St. Augustine Sailing
You can also walk among the illuminated palm trees along the bayfront. The reflection of all the lights on the water creates a view you’ll want to remember forever.
Lights at the Lighthouse
The St. Augustine Lighthouse & Maritime Museum provides the perfect opportunity to view the festivities. On Luminary Night, a free event held on December 7, more than 2,000 luminaries are displayed throughout the grounds and on the streets surrounding this historic landmark, creating a magical holiday experience. Lights and holiday décor also adorn the 1876 Keepers’ House and other historic buildings on the property.
You won't want to miss Lighthouse Illuminations! See 21 different themed Christmas Trees on select nights at St. Augustine Lighthouse & Maritime Museum.
Shine and Shop
When taking in the shining outdoor wonders, don’t forget to purchase a souvenir to remember the occasion. St. Augustine’s shops along St. George Street, Aviles Street, and uptown San Marco Avenue are independently owned, making each gift unique.
Wherever you end up during the Nights of Lights, remember to share your favorite moments with the world by tagging us: #NightsofLights #FloridasHistoricCoast