Girlfriends' Outdoor Getaway
Sometimes, girls just gotta have some outdoor fun. Right? So why not get the crew together and visit Florida’s Historic Coast?
Here on Florida's Historic Coast you’ll find a city where authentic Spanish architecture provides a European vibe complete with beautiful seaside scenery. Plus, you’ll have your choice of intriguing outdoor activities designed to ensure your special getaway will be filled with adventure, fun and lots of laughs.
On the Water
Spend a memorable afternoon exploring the waters surrounding historic St. Augustine. The bay and estuary are home to dolphins, manatees, stingrays, turtles, an amazing array of fascinating coastal birds…and much more.
- St. Augustine Eco Tours departs from the city marina and offers guided kayak tours as well as a catamaran and tour boat for those who prefer a more leisurely, sit-down excursion. Kayak St. Augustine features guided kayak and paddle board tours and for early risers who want to be inspired – a sunrise, stand-up paddle board tour!
- A few miles south, Ripple Effect Ecotours takes kayakers into the estuary and marshes at Marineland under the guidance of a master naturalist.
- The St. Augustine Scenic Cruise provides a leisurely daytime tour of the bay aboard the double-decker Victory III. Just like in a romance novel, go for a dreamy sail aboard the 76-foot Schooner Freedom! Choose from day, sunset, moonlit (and special full moon) cruises – you and your friends can help raise the sails or even take the helm. Complimentary refreshments included!
Girls love pirates…right? Well, here’s your chance for your crew to meet up with the crew of the pirate ship Black Raven. Every Friday and Saturday night, the ship sets sail on a Rum Runner cruise – an adults-only sailing adventure featuring pirates, comedy, sea shanty sing-alongs and the best bar this side of the Spanish Main. Departing from the city marina, your moonlit cruise will be under the command of the infamous Walker Plankton, supported by his scurrilous crew.
Of course, one of the best ways to experience St. Augustine’s historic atmosphere is by horse-drawn carriage. You’ll find them lined up along the bayfront near the Castillo de San Marcos. Climb aboard and go clip-clopping through history with fun and laughs along the way. Across the bay on Anastasia Island, you’ll see the beautiful St. Augustine Lighthouse. Experts have proclaimed it “the Mona Lisa of paranormal sites” and a great way for a small group to experience that spooky atmosphere is to take the guided Dark of the Moon Tour. This nighttime walking tour features a 219-step climb to the top of the tower where you’ll experience incredible nighttime views of the city and ocean lit by the powerful Fresnel lens.
Adrenaline Rush Anyone?
If your group is up for a physical challenge, the Crocodile Crossing zip line at the St. Augustine Alligator Farm Zoological Park is perfect! Skim through the treetops on one of two courses while hundreds of crocodiles and alligators pass just below your dangling feet and tropical birds cheer you on. If you prefer your thrills while sitting, head over to Sea Serpent Tours for a high-speed airboat ride, pedal your way to adventure on their unique hydrobikes (guided tours available or chart your own course) or experience their pontoon boat and kayak excursions.
Sure you’ve done some yoga. Maybe even some yoga on the beach. But have you ever tried Flying Yoga on the beach? Have you even heard of this unique approach to yoga? Well, for something completely different, you and up to five friends can climb into individual yoga swings on the beach and truly fly through a variety of yoga positions. Taught by a local St. Augustinian, it’s a combination of circus arts and ground-based yoga. Perfect for all ages from yoga beginners to the more experienced.
Feel like working some sunlit shopping into your getaway? Several options are available.
- Every Saturday morning 8:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m., you’ll find the best local artisans, bakers, jewelers. farmers, photographers and many more displaying their creations and products at the St. Augustine Amphitheatre. This is a huge market frequented by locals and visitors alike.
- For some seaside shopping, each Wednesday from 8:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. there’s a popular Farmer’s Market at the pier in St. Augustine Beach.
- Sundays between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. is the time for the Salt Air Farmer’s Market at the Marineland Marina - great products, plus a scenic drive along the shore.