Built 1871-74 as a U.S. Lighthouse Service facility, the local Junior Service League raised more than $1.5 million for an amazing restoration completed in 1994. In 2002, the lighthouse was deeded to the non-profit St. Augustine Lighthouse and Museum, Inc. whose commitment to sustaining every architectural detail of this seaside beacon has made the 165-foot lighthouse one of the most historically correct in the United States.
For example, the most recent restoration project (2022) only used materials that were readily available in 1888 – the year the roof to oil room was completed. And that brilliant nighttime light that flashes every thirty seconds from atop the tower? It comes from a 1,000-watt bulb made in the 1930s. Only bulbs from that era are used so that the light seen today is identical to one seen in 1936 – the year electricity first arrived at the lighthouse. Open to the public, the lighthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.