Whether on a group paddle or a private lesson, participating in a full moon paddle event or SUP Yoga session, this sport is one of the coolest ways to enjoy nature and recharge your spirit. Plus you may get lucky and see dolphins, manatees, or sea turtles up-close!
If you are a beginner, there are plenty of instructional resources available to get your feet wet. Here are a few ways to get started with SUP in St. Augustine and Ponte Vedra:
- Anastasia Watersports offers SUP and kayak rentals and lessons throughout the year. The calm and shallow waters of Salt Run in the Anastasia State Park offer an ideal location for first-timers. Anastasia Watersports also organizes special full moon paddles where participants can watch the sunset to the west and the moon rise from the east over the dunes.
- Kayak St. Augustine offers paddle board instruction and rentals for all levels of experience at Lighthouse Park on Salt Run and other locations throughout the region. Their popular Saturday Sunrise Tours shines a morning spotlight on the beauty of Salt Run.
- Looking for balance, peace, and serenity? The Salty Paddle is best known for their SUP yoga sessions in Salt Run.
- V-Star Fitness Group also offers Full Moon tours from Lighthouse Park on Salt Run. Participation in many of their organized paddles are free, and equipment is available for rent.
- North Guana Outpost and Guana Outpost South in Ponte Vedra Beach are known for their popular guided SUP eco-tours on the Guana River and the Intracoastal Waterway.
More Advanced Paddling Options
For seasoned SUP paddlers, there are plenty of spots to get out and enjoy a challenging point-to-point paddle. From Ponte Vedra south to Marineland, St. Johns County maintains dozens of public ramps and docks where paddlers can begin and end tide rides. Be sure to check the tide flows and weather patterns before setting out on a distance paddle.