Go Behind the Scenes at Historic Marineland Dolphin Adventure
World’s first oceanarium is still a popular spot for visitors ... and Hollywood!
Just a short drive south of St. Augustine on scenic A1A, Marineland Dolphin Adventure has delighted area visitors and locals alike for eight decades. While it is somewhat off the beaten path, it’s made its mark on Florida’s conservation and on the movie business.
Marineland opened in 1938 as the world’s first oceanarium and quickly became a popular destination for Hollywood filmmakers to capture underwater action footage.
The park, which celebrated its 90th anniversary in 2018, was originally known as Marine Studios and appeared in films including Marine Circus (1939), The Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954) and Sea Dream (1978), as well as TV series like Sea Hunt. More recently, Marineland re-entered the cinematic spotlight with the new movie "Bernie the Dolphin" filmed on site. That family-friendly film will be released in spring 2019.
You may not know that you can take a peek behind the scenes on your visit to Marineland. The “Behind the Seas” tour takes you below the decks for a look at animal habitats and marine life such as lion fish, eels, lobsters and jellyfish.
Throughout the month of June you can take part in some exclusive anniversary celebration events.
- Meet Our Trainers: Twice daily in June, guests can learn about Marineland’s dolphin family and see staff them interact with dolphins.
- 80 Years of Animal Love and Care: A special evening event every Saturday in June with guided tours, a souvenir booklet, the chance to meet more than 15 dolphins and more from 7-9:30 pm ($35 for adults/$15 for children).
- Family Sunday Fundays in June: Children’s events, games and educational programs each Sunday, plus two kids free with one paid adult.
- BOGO Mondays in June: Buy one get one free General Admission and Marineland’s "Behind the Seas" tours every Monday in June.
- Save Our World Ocean Event Beach Cleanup: On June 8, with free Marineland passes to participants, live music, a silent auction and more.
- Official Anniversary Celebration Day: Special guests, special food and a souvenir booklet for visitors will honor the official anniversary June 23.