Going to the Chapel and We're Going to Get Married ...
Going to the Chapel and We're Going to Get Married ...

Marriage Licenses

Find out how to obtain your marriage license prior to your wedding in St. Augustine & Ponte Vedra Beach.

Marriage Permits & License Information

Planning to get married in St. Augustine or Ponte Vedra Beach? Here’s how to obtain a marriage license before the wedding.


  • Both parties must be present and have an acceptable form of picture identification; drivers licenses are preferred. If you are not a U.S. citizen, a valid passport must be presented.
  • Social Security numbers will need to be provided. If either or both parties are not U.S. residents, then a valid passport will act in lieu of the Social Security number.
  • It is required by Florida Law that a Family Law Handbook be read prior to issuance of the marriage license. If either party has been previously married before, the exact date of the last terminated marriage must be known.
  • If 16 or 17 years of age, both parents must sign and have notarized a Certificate of Consent for Marriage. If under 16, a court order must be obtained. The only exception is a minor who has been married before, as he or she is considered an adult.
  • The State of Florida requires a three-day waiting period if both parties are Florida residents and have not taken an approved marriage class.
  • The license is good for 60 days from the effective date and can be used anywhere in the State of Florida.
  • The cost of the license is $93.50. If the couple has attended an approved counseling class, the price is reduced to $61.00. The provider of the class must be listed with the clerk’s office. Inquires may call 904.819.3640.

Who can marry you?

Any notary, judge, priest, ordained minister or deputy clerk. If you wish to be married at the courthouse, just bring your marriage license back with you within the eligible time frame and the cost of the ceremony will be $30.00.

Changing your name?

  • If you change your name, be sure to tell the Drivers License Bureau as well as Social Security.
  • Tell your employer about your name change, too.

New Social Security Card?

Making sure all your records are correct now means you’ll get the right Social Security benefits later. To get a new Social Security card, you’ll need:

  • Identification that shows your old name and your new name, such as a marriage certificate or divorce decree
  • If you were born outside the U.S., you will also need proof of U.S. citizenship or that you are living in the U.S. legally.

The new card sent to you will have your new name and the same number, and it’s free. You never need to pay for this kind of service. Just call Social Security at 1.800.772.1213 for information on how to get your new Social Security Card.

Need more information?

More information on marriage licenses is available through the Clerk of Circuit Courts office by calling 904.819.3640.

Note: To be wed on a boat, vows must be exchanged before crossing the three-mile mark.

For more information on wedding venues in St. Augustine & Ponte Vedra, please click here.

A woman prepares to sit at an outdoor table beneath a red umbrella at a restaurant in St. Augustine & Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
St. Augustine, Ponte Vedra Beach

Florida’s Historic Coast

A visit to St. Augustine, Ponte Vedra Beach and The Beaches is more than just a getaway. It’s close enough to home but different enough to make you feel a world away. Experience old-world charm, flavorful dining, art and culture, and an abundance of entertainment. Learn More

couple walking together through the streets of the historic district in St. Augustine, FL.

Wedding Venues in St. Augustine & Ponta Vedra

learn more