Road Bike A1A from Ponte Vedra to St. Augustine
If road biking is your thing, then riding from Ponte Vedra Beach to St. Augustine along historic A1A is an experience you won’t want to miss!
It’s a straight shot from Ponte Vedra Beach to St. Augustine along the A1A Scenic and Historic Coastal Highway – recently designated as one of two All-American Roads in Florida. This ride offers salt air and scenic views of the Atlantic Ocean.
Parking and facilities for this adventure can be found at Mickler’s Landing Beachfront Park or the GTM’s North Parking Lot ($3 day use fee). From there, heading south you'll enjoy ocean vistas mixed in with small residential areas along A1A. Highway A1A does offer sharrows for safe cycling; however, you'll want to wear bright colors, ride during daylight hours and obey the rules of the road.
If you are looking for a cycling buddy, be sure to check out the North Florida Bicycle Club’s (NFBC) website. NFBC offers both off and on road rides daily covering varying distances.
Tips on How to be a Sustainable Ponte Vedra Beach Guest
- Carry a water bottle. Use the water stations at Mickler’s Beach Landing and the GTM Research Reserve for refills along the way.
- Share the road. Keep your eyes and ears open as you’re sharing the road with other vehicles.
- Keep it natural. By packing out what you bring in you’ll help keep the “natural” in our “natural areas.”
- Stay chemical free. Stick to sunscreens that are free of oxybenzone and octinoxate, two of the most common ingredients found in chemical formulas.
Nearby Things to Do
- Check out the "pop-up" market at Airstream Row. Every third Saturday local artisans sell their wares, arts and crafts, and local produce.
- Explore the area via kayak. Florida Water Tours offers rentals as well as sunset boat cruises aboard the Osprey.
- Enjoy a guided tour with Cruisin' Tikis St. Augustine. This floating oasis offers daily 90-minute and 180-minute excursions.
- Break for lunch just across the Vilano Bridge at Kingfish Grill on the Water.