What better way to see long expanses of the Atlantic Ocean than to bike the beach? Riding at low tide offers beach bikers a nice firm sand base. Stop along the way to hunt for sharks’ teeth!
Ponte Vedra Beach offers several locations to begin your beach biking adventure! The GTM Research Reserve provides cyclists with four easily accessible parking areas along the west side of Highway A1A. Free parking is available in the unpaved lot located at the Exxon Gas Station. From there, a crosswalk leads you to a boardwalk down to the beach. Other access points are north and referred to as the South, Middle and North beach access areas. Parking in these locations is $3 (day use fee, cash only) and each have crosswalks that lead you across A1A to a boardwalk and access to the beach.
North of the GTM Research Reserve, about 5.5 miles is Mickler’s Landing. Mickler’s (pronounced Mike-luhr) Landing provides plenty of parking, restrooms, showers and handicapped accessible dune walkovers as well as a pavilion with picnic tables and grills.
A little over two-miles south of the GTM Research Reserve is the South Ponte Vedra Beach Recreation Area. This park offers limited parking, picnic tables, port-a-lets, and stairs to the beach.
Further south, approximately 12 miles is St. Augustine. This area offers exceptional dining opportunities as well as many historic sites and attractions. Bike racks are scattered throughout the downtown historic area so remember to bring a bike lock if you plan to explore on foot.
Where to Park?
|South Ponte Vedra Beach Recreation Area||2993 S. Ponte Vedra Blvd.|
|Exxon Station Unpaved Lot||2700 S. Ponte Vedra Blvd.|
|GTM South Beach Lot||2200 S. Ponte Vedra Blvd.|
|GTM Middle Beach Lot||2000 S. Ponte Vedra Blvd.|
|GTM North Beach Lot||1600 S. Ponte Vedra Blvd.|
|Mickler's Landing Beachfront Park||1109 Ponte Vedra Blvd.|
Tips on How to be a Sustainable Ponte Vedra Beach Guest
- Stay on track. Staying on designated paths as you access the beach help prevent biking on sensitive plants and animals.
- Keep it natural. By packing out what you bring in you’ll help keep the “natural” in our “natural areas.”
- Share the beach. While biking on our pristine beaches, watch out for sea turtles! Sea turtle nesting season is May 1 through October 31. Visitors are encouraged leave nests undisturbed and should never approach sea turtles emerging from or returning to the sea.
- Stay chemical free. Stick to sunscreens that are free of oxybenzone and octinoxate, two of the most common ingredients found in chemical formulas.
- Education is key. Stop by the GTM Environmental Education Center to better understand these unique ecosystems.
- Donate. Become a member of the GTM Research Reserve. Funds go directly to protecting, researching and teaching others about the Reserve.
Don't have a bike? Choose from one of these nearby outfitters
Nearby Things to Do
Eight miles down the road from Ponte Vedra Beach is the beachside town of Vilano Beach. This vibrant emerging community offers plenty to do. Here are some favorites:
- Watch live music during Evenings on Airstream Row held the 2nd Friday of the month.
- Set Sail on the High Seas on a luxury yacht with St. Augustine Sailing.
- Explore the area via kayak. Florida Water Tours offers rentals as well as sunset boat cruises aboard the Osprey.
- Pedal it out with Old Town Cycle Cruise. This 35-ft party pontoon offers BYOB cruises with 12 cycle stations and a lounge area.
- Recent recipient of the USA Today, Reader’s Choice 10Best award for “Best Boat Tour," Red Boat Tours offers sightseeing tours and sunset cruises.