Birding Guana North Beach Overlook
With Atlantic views on one side and the Guana River on the other, this Ponte Vedra Beach location showcases a variety of birds in two very different habitats.
The GTM North Beach Overlook offers birders a semi-private, natural environment to search for shorebirds. Park in the North Beach Parking Lot ($3 day use fee, cash only), and use the crosswalk to make your way to the boardwalk leading across natural dunes to the beach.
Shorebirds such as Ruddy Turnstones, Red Knots, Black-bellied Plovers, Royal Terns, Gulls and more can be found along the natural dune line and searching for food near the water. Look to the sky for an occasional falcon or osprey.
Local Tip: Climb to the highest platform and look west for spectacular views of the Guana River.
At a Glance Information for Guana North Beach Overlook
Fees/Permits: $3 day use fee, cash only
Restrooms: port-a-lets on site
Open: Daily from 8 AM to sunset
Tips on How to be a Sustainable Ponte Vedra Beach Guest
Stay on track. Staying on designated trails to trampling on sensitive plants and animals.
Keep it natural. By packing out what you bring in you’ll help keep the “natural” in our “natural areas.”
Don’t feed wildlife. Feeding birds and other wildlife conditions them to handouts and eventually they will lose their fear of people and/or vehicles.
Stay chemical free. Stick to sunscreens that are free of oxybenzone and octinoxate, two of the most common ingredients found in chemical formulas.
Nearby Things to Do
Head south on A1A to the town of Vilano Beach. This vibrant emerging community offers plenty to do. Here are some favorites:
- Watch live music during Evenings on Airstream Row held the 2nd Friday of the month.
- Set Sail on the High Seas on a luxury yacht with St. Augustine Sailing.
- Explore the area via kayak. Florida Water Tours offers rentals as well as sunset boat cruises aboard the Osprey.
- Pedal it out with Old Town Cycle Cruise. This 35-ft party pontoon offers BYOB cruises with 12 cycle stations and a lounge area.
- Recent recipient of the USA Today, Reader’s Choice 10Best award for “Best Boat Tour," Red Boat Tours offers sightseeing tours and sunset cruises.